Since 1973, John Schlicher has specialized in patents, patent litigation, patent dispute resolution and litigation settlement, patent and technology exploitation by licensing and other business transactions, and antitrust matters involving intellectual property.
Mr. Schlicher works with companies, their legal departments, and law firms on projects in his areas of specialty.
· Assistance to companies in resolving patent disputes through private negotiations, mediation, arbitration or other resolution processes
· Quantitative analysis of mutually beneficial types of agreements and financial terms for settlement and licensing based on the economic effects of litigation, settlement and licensing on the parties and others
· Serves as an expert on patents, patent damages, and licensing
· Assistance on licensing strategy and the specific terms of license agreements
· Advice on the rights and obligations of parties to existing license agreements
· Advice on antitrust and misuse issues involving licensing and other transactions involving intellectual property in the United States, the EU and Japan
· Advice on how courts would decide particular issues involving patent validity, scope, infringement, defenses to infringement, damages, and injunctions
· Assistance to counsel litigating patent actions on particular issues or phases of litigation in the district courts, Court of Appeals, and Supreme Court
He has practiced with major patent and general law firms in New York and California. He has also served as inside counsel at a biotech startup, Genentech. He has provided advice on patents, conducted patent litigation in the District Courts and Courts of Appeals, served as an expert on patents and licensing, assisted companies resolve patent infringement disputes, prepared and negotiated licenses and other technology agreements, provided advice and conducted litigation on antitrust claims involving patents, prepared and prosecuted patent applications, and handled appeals in the Patent and Trademark Office.
He has represented sophisticated companies in many important industries and areas of technology. He has represented clients in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, diagnostics, medical device, chemical, scientific instrument, computer, electronics, semiconductor, semiconductor equipment, office equipment, audio recording, software and many other industries. His clients have included Alps Electric, Becton Dickinson, Bridgestone-Firestone, Coca-Cola, Corning Incorporated, Dolby Laboratories, Fairchild Semiconductor, Genentech, Mitsubishi Electric, Ricoh, and Samsung Electronics.
He has written several published books and dozens of articles analyzing and describing the economic effects of the law and the history of how the law developed. His books and articles have been relied on by the Courts of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the Seventh Circuit and the district courts. Those books and articles anticipated and influenced changes in important aspects of patent law.
He has taught at Stanford Law School and the School of Law of the University of California, Berkeley. He was educated at Northwestern University and Stanford Law School. At Stanford, he was the Research Assistant to Professor William F. Baxter. He is a member of the academic honorary societies for liberal arts, science, and chemistry. He has received awards for his contributions to patent law and science.
John W. Schlicher
LAW OFFICE OF JOHN W. SCHLICHER
304 LOWELL LANE W.
LAFAYETTE, CALIFORNIA 94549
Tel (925) 818-1484
JOHN W. SCHLICHER
PATENTS, PATENT LITIGATION, PATENT DISPUTE RESOLUTION AND
SETTLEMENT, LICENSING, ANTITRUST, LAW AND ECONOMICS